Deadline: November 18, 2019
The Agence Française de Développement (AFD) is strongly committed to supporting sustainable cities, and, has also been involved since 2015 in supporting the digital transition of its partners. Thus, alongside the transformation of AFD into a digital lessor, a new dimension of intervention in favor of sustainable and intelligent cities is developing, built above all by multiple human energies using new technological tools.
One of the challenges of emerging and developing cities is, therefore, to embrace digital. As an acceleration factor for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals, digital tools offer powerful opportunities for urban development. The efficiency of urban services, transparency of local administration, increased participation, the attractiveness of the territory, better planning and risks prevention in the city, management of open data, all these factors making it possible to overcome the fantasy of an automated city focused on solutions to serve the general interest. As part of the Digital Challenge, AFD wants to support young entrepreneurs in Africa using digital solutions to shape the sustainable cities of tomorrow.
- Winner will receive €20,000;
- International visibility;
- A tailor-made support program.
- Open to startups, associations, or research centers developing a digital solution that promotes the development of inclusive and sustainable cities in Africa and falls under one of the categories above.
- They must be able to demonstrate the existence of a legal structure
- Contribute to the development of modern, smart and sustainable cities
- Leverage digital innovation as a development tool
- Demonstrate the existence of a sustainable, self-sufficient business model
- Staff members from the AFD or from any other organization taking part in the implementation of the Challenge and/or in its promotion, as well as their family members, cannot apply to the Challenge.
Click here to apply.