December 13, 2019
The University of British Columbia
is pleased to partner with The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
to provide comprehensive scholarships to students from Sub-Saharan Africa. The Program provides access to education for academically talented, yet economically marginalized young people. Scholars in the Program have a demonstrated commitment to giving back to their communities and develop the leadership needed to contribute to social and economic transformation across the continent.
To be eligible for consideration for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Masters’ Degree Program at UBC, the applicant must:
Please note that
- have completed a Bachelor’s degree;
- must not already have a graduate or Ph.D. degree;
- be a citizen or a refugee of a Sub-Saharan African country;
- have lived a significant part of their life in a Sub-Saharan African country
- present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances, and be able to show a lack of financial means from family or other sources to pursue graduate education in their home country or elsewhere;
- have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances and show leadership qualities or potential;
- demonstrate an interest in and commitment to giving back to his/her home community in ways that enhance the economic growth and social development of Africa, through engagement in activities in their current profession, university or community;
- be a person who requires a Canadian study permit to study in Canada;
- commit to returning to Africa in order to apply their training and skills to the betterment of others.
- be applying for a Master’s degree in one of the following Faculties and programs at UBC’s Vancouver campus;
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Science
- Sauder School of Business
- Mastercard Foundation Scholars program only covers the expenses of the admitted scholars.
- Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents are not eligible to apply for this award.
- funds from the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC cannot be applied to pursue programs at other academic institutions.
Click here to apply.