Deadline: 25 February 2019
The Fondation de France and the French Committee for International Solidarity (CFSI) have launched a 2019 Call for Projects “Promotion of Family Farming in West Africa” to promote local initiatives to increase access to food through viable and sustainable West African family farming, share its achievements on a larger scale and contribute to the documentation of sustainability.
The specific objectives are:
- through concrete, innovative action, to improve and secure the production, processing, preservation and marketing of farm produce and to ensure that poor urban and rural consumers have access to it;
- to share among local, national and international actors the knowledge acquired from concrete action under this program, and to draw comprehensive lessons;
- to produce documents and sets of arguments useful to the actors monitoring family farming issues and addressing related political issues.
The program supports projects which take into account both the following themes:
- Connecting family farming to urban and rural markets / promoting the consumption of local products.
- Developing methods of sustainable agriculture / sustainable food systems.
Priority Questions in 2019
The 2019 call exclusively targets innovations specific to the connection with mass markets. Accordingly, in 2019, only the projects addressing, in an innovative and precise way, one or several of the following priority questions will be selected:
- How to go beyond the niche markets? Whether through institutional purchases? Or through actions aimed at reaching a significant number of consumers belonging to middle class and low-income categories, or even very low-income categories? Or through actions involving West African consumers and, where appropriate, their organizations, in the co-construction of a pathway towards mass consumption of healthy local products?
Two kinds of initiatives will be supported:
- short-term projects (one-year duration), with a granted amount of 10,000€ to 15,000€;
- multi-year projects (3 years maximum), with a maximum amount of 50,000€ for the whole time period (3 years) and paid in annual tranches in light of the progress of the project.
- To non-profit legal entities:
- West African farmers’ organizations;
- “support NGOs” active in West Africa or in Europe (to the extent that they work with local partners);
- research and/or training organizations.
- A local authority can not be the promoter of the project but can be the main partner.
Important: this call is reserved for proposals of partnership actions, formalized between African and European organization(s). The applicant organization can be West African or European.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can download the application here.
For more information, please click here.